ABOUT FAIR DISTRICTS NJ
Fair Districts New Jersey is a coalition dedicated to ensuring that
New Jersey's congressional and legislative districts are drawn in a way
that is transparent, representative, and impartial. The coalition is led
by the League of Women Voters of New Jersey, a nonpartisan nonprofit
organization that encourages informed and active participation in
Fair Districts calls for more meaningful public input into
the process, greater transparency, and an independent citizens’
We are part of a national movement to put power where it belongs - into the hands of New Jersey voters.
League-led Fair Districts coalitions are making strides across the
country, including in Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. We need people
like you to make redistricting reform a reality in New Jersey.
Join us if you believe that the outcome of elections should not be
decided before voters even cast a ballot. Join us if you believe that
voters should choose their politicians, and not the other way around.
Together, we can draw fairer maps, encourage competition, increase voter
turnout, and bring New Jersey voters into the redistricting process.
Fair Districts must:
- Adhere to all Constitution and Voting Rights Act requirements.
- Have substantially equal population and geographic contiguity.
- Protect NJ's communities of color.
- Preserve communities of interest.
- Reject incumbent protection and not favor or discriminate against candidates or parties.
- Respect county and municipal boundaries.
Fair Districts New Jersey's Goals:
- Move to an Independent Citizens’ Commission model made up of citizens, not elected officials or political insiders, to put power in the hands of voters.
- Expand the timeline for legislative map creation, allowing for more public input than the current system provides.
- Increase the number and quality of public hearings/meetings for both the legislative and congressional redistricting processes.
- Improve transparency and fairness, as well as public participation, to increase voter trust in the process.
Is your organization interested in joining our movement?
A PROJECT BY
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF NEW JERSEY
204 West State Street, Trenton, NJ 08608